I hope you had a great weekend. I learned a lot in New Orleans from some of the brightest education researchers alive.
Today we are going to finish working on your Summer Enrichment Kits. They are due at the end of the day.
Since I’ll be out of town on Friday (that means no class Friday!) I’ll introduce you to the next assignment. This is the last assignment for learning about new tools. We’ll have one last TLAT, and then the showcase, and then we’re done for the semester!
For this assignment, you will have a chance to search for three apps for your ipad, iphone, android, etc. that you can use for creativity, communication/collaboration or critical thinking/problem solving. These can either be apps that you would use as a teacher, or that your students could use. For instance, here is a list of ipad apps for kids. You can search your favorite app store, or if you don’t know where to go, check out this great overview of app stores.
- On Friday you will use the time we would have met in class to find 5-7 apps and provide a short reviews of each.
- Then on Monday, we’ll use the skills we learned with Audacity to create a podcast that describes your recommendations to another teacher, speech therapist, etc. explaining your short reviews. This should be around 2-5 minutes.
- Make sure you use a good microphone. If you don’t have one, get one from the OIT on the second floor of Aderhold. If you need a quiet place to work, you can get a key to the Editorium. This is a suite of soundproof editing studios on the 6th floor of Aderhold Hall. You can get the key with your student ID in the OIT.
- Make sure your podcast has intro and exit music that fades in and out appropriately.
- Create a new page on your website. You can call it Mobile App Podcast, or something similar.
- Upload your podcast to this page as an attachment (or if you can convert it to MP3, we can look at ways of embedding into your site on Monday)
- Write a short summary on your website, listing the apps you chose, links to where you can download them, and your short reviews on a new page.
This project will be due Wednesday April 20th.